Thursday 11 March 2010

Cairngorm ski touring





Recently I was asked by Dougie, a rescue team colleague, if I was interested in a ski trip from Cairngorm to Ben Nevis. Why not I thought?
We had a go over the last two days but changed our itinerary to a circular route instead. The snow is very icy and highly featured making downhill hard going especially with big packs.
As a result I'm feeling quite tired. I am aware that I need to get much ski-fitter, because although we travelled around 50km carrying 20kg bags the whole trip weighs in at around 160km. So, we'll try again, hopefully soon if some friendlier skiing conditions come down and the lower sections get a bit more cover. Can't complain though - we really enjoyed ourselves.

The corrie bowls of the northern Cairngorms are still holding vasts amounts of snow with evidence of monster avalanches from the west facing slopes above the Lairig Ghru. Generally snow conditions are pretty stable, although with warmer temperatures around things are loosening up. Cornices are looking pretty droopy and as we passed the Devils Point last night a rock fall came down on the path behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment